As your child begins growing into their smile, things might become a bit difficult, especially if you’re not quite sure how to soothe your baby. However, there are some things you can do to give your child the comfort they need, and our The Chicago Family Dental Center team is more than happy to give those tips to you! To help make the teething experience a little bit easier, we recommend doing the following things:
- Massage your child’s gums with your finger, but before you do so, please remember to thoroughly wash your hands with soap and warm water.
- Get a cold spoon and hold it against the sensitive area of your child’s mouth.
- Let your child chew on a cold, wet washcloth. Please supervise during this activity.
- Chill your child’s pacifier in the refrigerator before you give it to them.
- Let your child bite on a teething ring you’ve purchased from the store.
Your dentist, Dr. Gary Wegmann, and our entire dental team care for you, your child, and your child’s smile. We are here to help you in every way we can, so we encourage you to call 312.551.0500 if you have any questions or if you would like to know more. If these tips don’t seem to work, please do not try the amber teething necklace or lidocaine. These two things can be toxic and extremely harmful for your child. If you need to try a different soothing routine, please call our office and talk to our team. We are more than happy to assist you in any way we can!