Protecting your mouth includes more than just protecting your teeth. Your gums are also at risk for damage and decay. Our expert team at The Chicago Family Dental Center is highly trained to analyze and assess all your oral health ailments and can provide you with treatment plans customized to your individual recovery. However, caring for your teeth and gums often relies heavily on the steps you take in your daily life. Save your smile from gum disease. Below are some of the most common risks for the disease:
– Smoking is a major risk factor for gum disease. Beyond the host of other illness that could potentially arise, smoking can directly cause gum disease and lower your chances for a successful treatment of the disease. Chewing tobacco is also another risk factor.
– Hormonal changes in girls and women could increase your risk for gingivitis, a precursor to gum disease. The risk is due to heightened sensitivity in your gums.
– Individuals who suffer from diabetes are at a higher risk for infections, which includes gum disease.
– Treatments for various diseases, including cancer, can have a negative effect on your gums, potentially leading to gum disease.
– Gum disease can be caused by a decrease in saliva flow. Many medications cause dry mouth symptoms.
– Sometimes gum disease can be caused by genetics alone. Some individuals tend to be more genetically susceptible to gum disease than others.
If you are suffering from gum disease, or feel you may be at risk for the disease, please contact our office at 312.551.0500 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Gary Wegmann at our office in Chicago, Illinois. Making your mouth healthy again is what we strive to do!