Did you know that sugarless gum can fight cavities? According to many studies that have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help protect your tooth enamel. The reason is due to an increase in saliva production, which can wash away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few tips to remember when adding sugarless gum to your oral health care routine:
– Sugarless gum helps brush away chewy or sticky debris that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after meals.
– According to many studies, sugarless gum can help fight heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you experience any jaw pain or if you have a known TMJ disorder.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after meals instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can be damaged by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
– Never skip daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning techniques such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
If you would like to schedule a professional cleaning treatment with The Chicago Family Dental Center, simply call our dental office at 312.551.0500 for an appointment in Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Gary Wegmann and the rest of our team look forward to helping correct your smile so it can shine brightly for many years to come!